Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24th appointments... Is it August yet?

Adriana is still above average in size, and we're eager to meet her!

Today we took a tour of the NICU, and it eased our minds.  Originally, I had dreaded what it would be like--with all the tubes, sick babies, and strangers.  When I pictured it, I constantly had that lump of worry in the back of my throat.  I pictured the worst for Adriana.  I'm happy to say I am no longer freaking out about her well-being in the NICU, however.  When we visited, it was a very quiet and soothing environment with lots of friendly nurses tending to each tiny baby carefully.  In fact, we didn't even hear one baby cry the entire time, and they all seemed to be comfy and cozy in their incubators.

We were also set up with a social worker who has reserved us a room at the Ronald McDonald House.  It's not very far from the hospital.  This way, we can have a comfortable bed to sleep in (for $15/night!) close to Adriana who will have to stay in the NICU for at least 72 hours after birth for monitoring.  During that time, the cardiologists will be able to give a more definitive diagnosis of Adriana's heart defects, and make a final decision on treatment and surgery.

Unfortunately, there was some troubling news today.  My amniotic fluid looks as if it has decreased (although by a small margin) and we must go back to UMMC on Friday as a precaution.  It could be nothing, but we're not taking any chances.  I will be monitored on a machine to make sure Adriana is doing ok in there, and make sure that I won't be going into labor before my induction date.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad things went well and eased your mind during your tour of the NICU. I reminded Justin today that it's getting close! We both are thinking about you guys a lot. We can't wait to meet Adriana Ruth. Keep us updated and of course if you need anything you know my number. <3 Steph

    ReplyDelete